Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow squash
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 cups light cream
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more (to garnish)
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1. In a stock pot, melt butter and add onions until tender. Reduce heat and stir in flour, salt, and pepper and stir until smooth. Slowly add broth and stir. Turn the heat up to med-med high and bring to a boil. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, potatoes, squash, corn and thyme. Reduce and simmer soup about 30 minutes or until the veggies are as tender as you like.
- 2. Add cream, parmesan and chicken. Reduce heat and heat the soup about 10 additional minutes without letting it boil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A very tasty recipe that is flexible as well. We used chopped up portabella mushrooms, fresh thyme from the garden, and homemade chicken stock. Out of habit I threw in a dash of cayenne and also we skimmed cream from the top of our milk as that was what was on hand. I wasn't looking very well at the directions and threw the carrots and celery in with the onion. Perhaps this is why my cooking time seemed to be less than stated. Start to finish we had this soup in an hour's time.