Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe did not clump up on me, and man is it good, creamy and cheesy! You can thank the cooks at Cooks Country for the Original. Omit red pepper flakes if that's the one your looking for!
- Ready In:
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded American cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place oven rack in the middle.
- Pulse bread, melted butter, and Parmesan in food processor until ground to coarse crumb.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni to boiling water and cook 6 minutes-do not overcook.
- Reserve 1/2 cup macaroni cooking water, then drain and rinse macaroni in colander under cold running water.
- Drain well & set aside.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until foaming-don't let it brown.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture turns light brown, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, red pepper flakes, nutmeg, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until mixture begins to simmer and is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1/2 cup reserved pasta water until cheese melts.
- Stir in macaroni until completely coated.
- Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling around edges and top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this for DH who has been craving Mac n Cheese. I made almost exactly as directed except that I had to sub 1/3rd cream for some of the evaporated milk. Also American cheese is only available in Canada in the single slices wrapped in plastic so I peeled and shredded a few of those to make up the correct amount.<br/>This was a wonderful version of Mac N Cheese that I will turn to whenever he gets 'that craving' lol. I especially liked that you could not taste the evaporated milk as I am not a fan. The only change I would make next time is to reduce the pasta to sauce ratio to make it saucier. Solely for our taste as it is excellent as is.Reply