Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 6 ounces red potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1/2 cup vermouth
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add shallots and crushed garlic and saute over medium low heat for about 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
- When shallots are soft, add asparagus, reserving the tips for garnish, and potato to saucepan and cook for about 6 minutes, until the asparagus is bright in color.
- Add wine. Raise the heat to bring the wine to a boil. Reduce the wine until a scant tablespoon remains.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- While simmering, blanch asparagus tips and dry.
- Use immersion blender, or transfer to blender/food processor and blend 30 to 45 seconds.
- Return to pot if necessary.
- Add salt, pepper and basil.
- Stir in cream.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with reserved asparagus tips.
Join The Conversation