Cranberry Pear Lemon Jam
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 large bartlett pears, peeled, cored and diced (about 4 cups)
- 3 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, washed and grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- Combine pears, cranberries, water and lemon rind in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover,reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually add lemon juice and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil rapidly, uncovered, until mixture will form a gel, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- With oven mitts or other protective "gloves", Ladle into sterilized jars and process in boiling water bath (BWB) for 15 minutes. OR keep refrigerated in an air tight container for up to a month.
- Modified Source: Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp & Margaret Howard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tastey tart jam. Wife loves it. Added a half teaspoon of grated fresh ginger (because I like the taste) and 1/4 dried currents (because I like them). I added about 1/2 teaspoon of "acid blend" right at the end because I wanted it more tart. Acid blend is 50% citric acid, 25% malic acid, and 25% tartaric acid. Make sure you turn the fire down on the last 15 minutes, and stir, as you don't want to burn the batch. This recipe will only make 2 1/2 pints so prepare jars accordingly. Great recipe. Thanks for the submitter and to Ellie Topp