Cracked Wheat Thins
- Ready In:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup red river cereal (or cracked wheat)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pour boiling water over Red River Cereal.
- Allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Combine shortening and sugar.
- Add flour and salt.
- Add the soaked grain. You might need a bit more water to get the right consistency.
- Divide dough into four parts and roll each as thin as parchment.
- Slide dough onto ungreased cookie sheet and indent it in squares with a pastry wheel or knife.
- Prick dough all over with force to prevent bubbling.
- Bake 400F 10 minutes.
- Remove, and break biscuits where you have them scored.
- For variety can add poppy seed, onion flakes, garlic powder, cayenne or paprika.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are super delicious! Very nice with a little kosher salt sprinkled on top before baking. I am still experimenting with baking time. The crackers around the edges cook faster, so I remove them and put the rest back into the oven. I've been rolling the dough right on my cookie sheets but I think it's causing them to stick to the pan a little. I am wishing I had a pasta roller to experiment with. Thanks for this recipe - I love the flavour, so I'll keep trying and come up with a method that works for me ;-)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in rural central Canada. I love hockey, horses and music. My favorite cookbook is an old handwritten one of my grandmothers.