Cousin Helen's Dal
A quick and easy tomato dal from Hyderabad, India.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup orange lentils
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pinch mustard seeds
- 1 pinch cumin seed
- 3 dried red chilies
- 4 -5 curry leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder, to taste
- 1 large chopped tomato (without the skin)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice (or a little bit of tamarind paste mixed with a bit of water)
- Wash dal thoroughly.
- Boil the dal (lentils).
- Set aside.
- In a separate frying pan, heat oil.
- Add mustard,cummin seeds,dry red chillies and curry leaves when the oil is hot.
- Lower the heat and put in the cayenne pepper, turmeric,coriander powder (according to your taste) Add chopped tomatoes (no skins) and cook this on slightly higher heat adding a little water as necessary.
- Add tamarind juice and add this mixture to the boiled dal.
- Bring it all to a boil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This daal was quite good, and definitely quick and easy. I didn't know what the conversion would be, so I used 1/2 tablespoon of tamarind concentrate dissolved in hot water, which made it quite tart, but that was fine by me. I used 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne, but probably should have used more, as I omitted the dried chilies (didn't have any). Half a tablespoon of oil was ample here. I did add a sprinkle of salt to this. Served 3 as a meal with chapati and salad.Reply