Couscous With Spinach and Pine Nuts
Our version of comfort food! If you prefer stronger flavors, add more garlic or try a stronger-tasting cheese.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup dry couscous (try whole wheat)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 5 cups loosely packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup grated muenster cheese (try reduced fat)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Add couscous and salt to boiling water. Cover and let sit 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Saute garlic and onion for ten minutes, or until tender.
- Drain canned tomatoes, reserving 1/3 cup juice. Add drained tomatoes to garlic and onions. Cook 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir tomato mixture into couscous. Mix in reserve tomato juice, basil, pine nuts, raw spinach and pepper.
- Spread half of the couscous mixture in a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle muenster evenly, then top with remaining couscous mixture.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
SO FLAVORFUL. I was pleasantly surprised at how much flavor this little dish contained. My husband, who doesn't like anything I make had 4 bowls of it and told me 2 times that he liked it. I didn't have pine nuts and I added marinated artichokes. It was delish! I am going to make it as a side dish to garlic chicken fingers (recipe # 56453) next time. Thanks for sharing.