I got this awesome recipe from ourbestbites.com. I like to think of them as little rainbow or tie dyed cupcakes. :) I love bold colors so this was right up my alley. They are very moist. Great way to doctor up a cake mix.
- Ready In:
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light sour cream (feel free to use regular)
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk (feel free to use regular)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- food coloring
- Combine all ingredients except coloring until blended. Then use a mixer on medium speed until all the lumps are gone. Roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Now pick out your colors. Your best bet would be to use gel coloring. The recipe on ourbestbites.com and I used 5 colors. Red, orange, yellow, green and blue. You can mix and match however you want. 4th of July try Red and Blue and plain uncolored white cake. Halloween use orange and black. The possibilities are endless. I used roughly 1/8-1/4 teaspoon of coloring. Change it to your liking.
- Layer spoonfuls of colored batter in your muffin liner. A good trick the authors give from ourbestbites.com is to see how many teaspoons or tablespoons it takes to fill your liner. This will tell you roughly how much batter you can use per cupcake. It will help you make your color choices trust me!
- Bake according to the box. Mine took right around 20 minutes and my cupcakes were 3/4 full with batter.
- Cool cupcakes and frost or leave plain. They look great either way. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION