Colombian Potato Salad
photo by dianegrapegrower
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cooked, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes when cool, about 6 cups total
- 3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and steamed until crisp-tender, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, depending on taste
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (may add more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Combine potato cubes, carrot pieces, chopped onions and cilantro in large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad ingredients.
- Gently combine tomato chunks with the rest of the salad.
- Chill and allow flavors to blend.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A really colourful and flavoursome side dish. I overcooked the potatoes the first time I began to follow this recipe, as I had not used red potatoes before, so we had mash for breakfast and then I started again. I cubed the potatoes before boiling on second attempt, so that I could keep an eye on them and it worked well. The wine vinegar really gives it a nice ZING.
Very tasty and healthful salad. I used red wine vinegar, vege-sal for the salt and used the maximum amount of cilantro (yes, it was important to the dish). I added a half cup of onions for a total of 1 cup (as a result my BF thought it was a bit too oniony but I thought it was just fine.) As for the vegetables, I steamed the carrots in a steamer on top of the boiling potatoes for about 12 minutes. You could also boil both of them together I guess. The potato package recommended 8 minutes, but I didn't think they were done in the alloted time so I boiled longer. Also, I used about 30 baby carrots sliced in half. Thanks for this recipe!