Coconut Cream Puffs
photo by -Mary-
- Ready In:
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Puff
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs, for inside
- 1 egg, to be used for the egg wash
For the Cream Filling:
- To a medium saucepan whisk together egg yolks, half and half, and coconut milk over medium/low heat.
- Once combined, add in sugar and corn starch, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a light boil.
- Remove from heat and mix in the shredded coconut and vanilla extract.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least two hours.
For the Puffs:
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- To a medium saucepan add the butter, coconut milk, water, and salt over medium heat.
- Allow all the butter to melt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- As soon as the mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and add in the flour.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly to incorporate the flour. Continue stirring until the dough starts to pull away from the sides and a thin film forms on the bottom of the pan (about three minutes).
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Let the dough cool slightly.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, being sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding the next.
- Once the dough comes together, transfer it to a piping bag and pipe onto a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet into 1½-inch mounds.
- Smooth out any peaks/ridges cause by piping with a wet fingertip (this will ensure your puffs cook evenly and maintain a nice ball shape).
- Then brush the dough with egg wash and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Then, without opening the oven, reduce heat to 350° (175°C) and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove puffs from oven. Using the tip of a knife, cut a small “x” into the bottom of each puff and transfer (“x” side up) to a cooling rack.
- Just before serving (or up to two hours in advance), pipe the cream filling into the cooled puffs. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!