Coconut Chicken and Pineapple Skewers
photo by 2Bleu
- Ready In:
20 coconut chicken skewers
- 2 (1/2 lb) boneless skinless chicken breast (about 1 lb)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 lime, juice of
- 5 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple (20 3/4-inch cubes)
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch cubes and place in a bowl.
- Place garlic, shallot, ginger, cilantro, salt, cumin, peanut oil, lime juice and coconut milk in processor or blender. Puree until smooth liquid forms.
- Pour marinade over chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium. Add marinated chicken cube then pineapple cube then another marinated chicken cube to each bamboo skewer. Grill until chicken is slightly golden all over, turning as needed (about 5 minutes each side).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW!!! Jen, these skewers were awesome! I had a BBQ last night and served 3 different kinds of skewers and these, by far, were the crowd favorite. Everyone raved about this dish, these skewers were the first to go, and I got asked for the recipe twice. I'd say that makes for a 5-star hit! My only modifications were to use low-fat coconut milk, because that was what I had on hand, and to add red onion to each skewer. We marinated the chicken a little over 3 hours. I will definitely, definitely make these again. I think they would be hard to top. Thanks for the great recipe!
Congratulations Jen! As winner of the Funky Shooz Contest (April 2008) This recipe was chosen along with three others to honor our winner,.. YOU! We made this exactly as written. Very simple to put together, and we loved marinading the chicken seperately. When assembling the skewers, the marinade still covers the fruit and peppers from your fingers. Lots of flavor, and a wonderful presentation as well. :)
see 2 more reviews