Chunky Chocolate Muffins
- Ready In:
- 50 g dark chocolate, plain roughly chopped
- 50 g light muscovado sugar
- 25 g butter, melted
- 125 ml milk, heated to room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 75 g white chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 5, 15 minutes before baking. Line a muffin or deep bun tin try with 7 paper muffin cases or oil the individual compartments well. Place the plain chocolate in a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of very hot water and stir occasionally until melted. Remove the bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir the sugar and butter into the melted chocolate, then the milk, vanilla essence and egg. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the chopped white chocolate, then using a metal spoon, fold together quickly, taking care not to overmix.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases, piling it up in the centre. Bake on the centre shelf of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Lightly dust the tops of the muffins with icing sugar as soon as they come out of the oven, if using. Leave the muffins in the tins for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!