Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
photo by Roxanne J.R.
- Ready In:
For the filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cake
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- To make the FILLING
- Combine the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls (at least 24) and set aside on a baking sheet.
- To make the CAKE BATTER.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; whisk together and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir together the sour cream, milk and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and the sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Mix just until incorporated.
- Spoon a tablespoon or two of batter into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Place a ball of the peanut butter filling in each cupcake well and top with the remaining batter so that all the cups are filled.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the FROSTING.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until smooth.
- Slowly mix in the confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth and well blended.
- Mix in the whipped topping until smooth and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm 23 years old and I live in Trinidad. One of the islands in the Caribbean. I love baking and have a major sweet tooth but I am trying to cook more savoury foods and I am enjoying trying new recipes. Recently I have come to love photographing the food I make. Too bad they don't all come out photo worthy, but at least they still taste good! lol <img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/SuperBowlSTKR.jpg> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/TeaSuppers-STKR.jpg">