Chipotle-Honey BBQ Bacon Burger with Gorgonzola Cheese
photo by Bergy
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- 1 ounce green onion, diced
- 1 ounce red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce chipotle chile in adobo, chopped
- 1 ounce green pepper, diced
- 1 ounce red pepper, diced
- 1 ounce red onion, diced
- 1 ounce roma tomato, diced
- 1 ounce garlic, minced
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup honey
Additional ingredients for building the burger
- 8 slices thick pepper bacon
- 6 five-inch kaiser rolls, split
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 8 slices roma tomatoes, 1/4 inch thick
- Mix ground beef, ground pork, green onion, red pepper and garlic.
- Form into 6 patties.
- Roll in black pepper.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Place a 2-quart saucepan on grill.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan.
- Sauté chipotle peppers, green peppers, red peppers, red onion, roma tomatoes and garlic.
- Deglaze with apple cider vinegar and let simmer.
- Add dry mustard.
- Blend sauce mixture; combine until smooth.
- Add ketchup and honey.
- Bring to a slow simmer.
- Cook bacon in a griddle/frying pan on grill surface.
- Keep warm for later use.
- Place burger patties on grill.
- Cook until medium-well, basting with Chipotle-Honey BBQ Sauce.
- Place 1 teaspoon Chipotle-Honey BBQ Sauce on top and bottom of each Kaiser bun.
- Assemble as follows: bottom bun, Gorgonzola cheese, peppered bacon, burger patty, roma tomatoes, and top bun.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I feel awful disagreeing with so many reviewers, so I'm thinking maybe it was just us...We didn't like this recipe at all. It was a lot of work and took a lot of ingredients and was WAY too vinegary for our tastes. The other ingredients in the sauce and burger were great--I felt like the vinegar really ruined it for us--that's all we could taste or smell. If you don't mind lots of vinegar, you'd probably like this recipe.
WOW mm mm mmmm! I tell you what, I knew these would be delicious from all the yummy ingredients in them. The sauce gave the burgers a great added flavor and tangy-ness. My bf wasn't for sure about putting the sauce on his burger (he's plain). But after he tried it he really like the sauce on them. Since it was just him and myself, I formed all the meat into patties and froze the rest, including the left over sauce we had, for next time! I have never had gorgonzola cheese on a burger but it sure was delicious! I made exactly as stated except added a little mayo, red onion, and lettuce on the burger! This is a great recipe when your wanting something different than the ordinary burger! SOOO GOOD!
I recommend getting the cook book "Build a Better Burger" by James McNair. It has Sutter Home's Annual "America's Best Burger" winners dating back to 1990 - about 70 recipes total. I've tried 8 recipes so far and each one has been so unique and undenialbly OUTSTANDING! Your grill is begging you! Enjoy!
see 5 more reviews