Chicken Soup With Jasmine Rice and Ginger
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup jasmine rice, rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled (3-inch long)
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Pour rice and water into medium-sized saucepan. Turn heat to high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is very tender and puffed up, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice ginger into matchsticks.
- Add chicken stock, fish sauce, salt, and sugar to saucepan. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Add half of ginger, and simmer for further 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowl and garnish with chicken, sliced scallion, chopped cilantro, and remaining ginger. Season with salt to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!