From Australian Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living - saving here as it is easier than keeping the magazines, at this point times estimated.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 400 g tomatoes (canned chopped no-added-salt)
- 2 (200 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (trimmed of fat and sliced to make 4 flat thin fillets)
- 40 g plain flour (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 2 egg whites (from 50 grams eggs)
- 90 g dried breadcrumbs (wholemeal 1 cup)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup basil (fresh shredded)
- 4 slices ham (shave thin)
- 80 g mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup 35% reduced-fat grated)
On The Side
- 2 zucchini (large and steamed to serve)
- 300 g sugar snap peas (trimmed, steamed to serve)
- 3 large carrots (sliced, steamed to serve)
- Heat oil in a small saucepan on medium, and add onion and garlic and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, and simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile, prehat oven to 180C (fan forced) and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place a chicken fillet between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper (or plastic wrap) and using flat side of a mallet (or small frypan/skillet also works well) and pound until 1.5cm thick and place on a a plate, and repeat with remaining fillets.
- Put flour on a plate.
- Whisk together milk and egg whites in a shallow dish.
- Place breadcrumbs on a shallow plate.
- Coat chicken in flour, then egg mix and finally breadcrumbs and place on lined tray, repeat with other 3 slices of chicken.
- Spray the chicken with cooking spray and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked.
- Preheat grill/broiler to medium.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a shallow ovenproof dish and place a slice of ham on each piece of chicken.
- Stir sugar and basil into tomato sauce and spoon over hammed top chicken and top with cheese.
- Grill/broil for 4-5 minutes or until cheese melts and turns golden brown.
- Serve chicken with steamed vegetables (in a steamer would take about 10 minutes for a medium soft texture, about 8 for a al dente taste or 6 for crisp).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very much enjoyed! I went heavier on the garlic, and used chicken "cutlet" thinly sliced chicken breast, so didn't have to flatten my chicken. I skipped the ham, just couldn't imagine chicken parm with ham! Plus I didn't have any. I served over butter and garlic noodles, with steamed zucchini and carrots on the side. Also some garlic italian bread. Yum!! So quick and easy to make....I had it all done in about 45 minutes. Thanks for sharing!
Yum, yum. I'll confess that I didn't bother with making the tomato sauce, instead I used some diabetic/heart friendly spaghetti sauce that I had in my freezer. Also skipped the ham as there is none on the house. That said we loved the chicken served with noodles and broccoli on the side. Thanks very much for the yummy and healthy main. :D
Great chicken parmigiana recipe. The chicken was nice and crisp had a lovely flavor combination with the tomatoes, ham and cheese. I also loved including steamed veggies into the recipe, to make it a complete meal. Thanks for the great idea! Due to some family preferences, next time, I will probably use a tomato puree instead of chopped and maybe even leave off the ham. Thank you for posting a yummy recipe, Pat! :)