Chicken Meatballs With Red Sauce (Benin)
photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 1 chicken, cut up, deboned and diced
- 3⁄4 cup no-sugar-added peanut butter
- 1 habanero pepper, minced
- 1 bunch green onion, washed and chopped
- 4 onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 tomatoes, blanched, peeled, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 cup red palm oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Take about half of the peanut butter and mix it with a little bit of hot water. It should still be a paste, but it should be just thin enough so you can stir it. Set aside.
- Take the remaining peanut butter, the chicken, the habanero, the green onions and salt and put them in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Shape the mixture into meatballs.
- Chop the blanched tomatoes and the onions and toss them with the peanut butter/water paste.
- Melt the palm oil in a pan and fry the meatballs in the palm oil until they are nicely golden all over.
- Add the onion, tomato and peanut butter mixture. Cover the pan and reduce the temperature to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or so, then remove the lid and check the internal temperature of the meatballs (they should be at 165 degrees or higher).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">