Chicken Heart Yakitori
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I really loved learning to make the sauce from chicken carcass. Hearts are usually a very cost effective item at the market. You can always use the broiler for this.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb chicken, hearts
For the sauce
- 2 chicken carcasses, cut into 6 to 8 pieces
- 1 cup sake (or white wine)
- 1 cup mirin (or sweet sherry or dry sherry & sugar)
- 1 cup soy sauce, depending on darkness
- 3 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup for a twist)
- fresh ground black pepper
- To make the sauce: Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the bones in a saute pan and roast until the bones are brown and the fond at the bottom of the pan is beginning to darken, about one hour.
- Remove the pan from the oven and put on a stovetop. Deglaze the pan with about 1/3 of the sake, scraping up the browned bits until the bottom of the pan is clean. Then add in the rest of the sake, mirin, sugar, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the sauce is thickened, about one hour. Season with black pepper. Leftover sauce will keep in the refrigerator indefinitely if reheated once a week.
- To grill: skewer chicken hearts and set over a medium high flame.
- When the chicken hearts are almost cooked through, about 2 minutes, baste with the sauce and grill again until sauce is dried, about 20 seconds.
- Baste again and grill just until the sauce is starting to dry, about 10 seconds.
- Sprinkle with sansho pepper if desired. Serve with wedges of lemon, salt, and mustard on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION