Chicken Enchiladas With Spinach Cream Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Another recipe given to me that I can't wait to try. I am a huge enchiladas lover and make them quite a lot, but never had them with spinach.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 poblano chiles
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups vertically sliced onions, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 ounces cream cheese (about 1/3 cup)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (8 inch) corn tortillas or (8 inch) flour tortillas
- Preheat broiler. Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened, turning occasionally. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; slice into strips to measure 2/3 cup.
- Place a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add 1 cup sliced onion; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken and 1/3 cup chiles; spoon chicken mixture into a bowl.
- Steam spinach leaves, covered, 5 minutes or until wilted. Place spinach in a colander, pressing with the back of a spoon until barely moist.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wipe skillet with paper towels, and recoat with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup sliced onion and chopped green onions, and saute 3 minutes. Stir in ground cumin and minced garlic, and saute 30 seconds. Combine flour and broth. Add flour mixture, chopped cilantro, cream cheese, and salt to pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Place the cheese mixture, 1/3 cup chiles, and spinach in a food processor, and process until smooth. Strain spinach mixture through a colander into a bowl, and discard solids.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly among tortillas, and roll up. Pour 1/2 cup spinach sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange the filled tortillas on top of spinach sauce. Pour the remaining spinach sauce over tortillas. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until enchiladas are thoroughly heated.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION