Chicken and Rice Casserole
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, minced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup crushed buttery type cracker
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Mixed all the ingredients together except crackers and butter.
- Spread into the pan.
- Bake uncovered, for 30-45 minutes until bubbling.
- Remove and add the cracker topping and dollop with butter, and bake another 10 minutes or until the crumbs brown.
- Let casserole sit for a few minutes to settle before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a wonderful chicken and rice recipe!!! We have always loved (my kids favorite meal) my sisters recipe for recipe#269300, which we have always had over egg noodles, but I had heard others had it with rice, so I had to try your version. Definitely wasn't disappointed with this version and it really was like a new meal, quite different from our version. But I do admit to adding more like a cup of the crushed crackers, love those on top. My 20 yo DS, who is off on his own for college, wants to try it this Friday when he is home. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for Fall PAC 2012.
This was delicious! Loved the crispy buttery outer edges. A warm comfort food. Liked the chestnuts in there too. Gave it a small crunch that was necessary in the middle of all the gooey warm cheesie bliss. I'm mad at myself I had 4 servings! At the end of the night there was only 1 piece left. I served it with warm bread and butter. Next time I will add a side of veggies.