photo by WiGal
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (approx)
- 1⁄3 cup grated romano cheese or 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In bowl, combine water, egg whites, salt, sugar and yeast. Using wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of the flour, cheese and thyme; beat until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to form soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead several times to form ball. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise for 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll out each portion into 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick circle or oval. Place on lightly greased baking sheets; prick all over with fork. Brush lightly with water; sprinkle with poppy and sesame seeds.
- Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to racks and let cool. Break into shards. (Flatbread can be stored at room temperature in airtight container for up to 3 days.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Excellent bread and so pretty! Love the seasonings in the bread. I made the dough in the bread maker and glad I did. I wanted ours to be thicker but think I made it too thick. So instead of flatbread got fat bread. LOL! Oh well live and learn. I served with Recipe#369605 and a tossed salad. Thanks wicked for sharing. Made for Everyday is a Holiday.
This was really good, although both DH and I didn't find it cheesy. For ease of prep, I threw it all in the breadmaker and set it to dough, which worked excellent. It was like a crackerbread that would be awesome with dips (which is what I have in mind for it for tomorrow.) Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Newest Tag.