Celery Vegetable Soup
I had a load of veg that needed using up and since the weather's getting cooler, I thought a vegetable soup was the way forward. I had a whole head of lettuce so started off making an easy celery soup and then added the rest. You could put in whatever you have to hand.
- Ready In:
- 25 g butter
- 1 whole head of celery, sliced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 vegetable stock cubes
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into 0 . 5cm cubes
- 1 large courgette, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- boiling water
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 200 ml double cream (optional)
- 1 large handful fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and white pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the celery, onion, leek and garlic and cook until sizzling.
- Reduce the heat to very low and cover. Allow to sweat for ten minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock cubes and boiling water until the veg is just covered. Cover again and increase heat. Bring to the boil and cook until the veg is soft.
- Blend with a hand blender, and season to taste. Add the Tabasco if using.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and continue to boil. If it looks too thick, add some more boiling water. The potatoes will thicken it slightly.
- Cook until the potatoes are cooked through then stir in the courgette, frozen peas and cream. Bring back to a gentle boil until the veg are cooked to your liking. Adjust seasoning as necessary (the potatoes and cream will neutralise the salt so you may need more).
- Stir the fresh parsley through and serve with some fresh crusty bread.