CC's French Onion Casserole
Put this together in the morning so can have a wonderfully different side dish that evening. Delicious companion with any beef, particularly steaks or roasts.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 50mins
- 3 medium sweet onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 (8 ounce) cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Cut onion in half from top to bottom, then with cut side down, slice moderately thinly.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions and mushrooms, stirring constantly until tender.
- Spoon onion/mushroom mixture into lightly greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Combine soup, milk and worcestershire sauce and pour over cheese.
- Top with bread slices and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 8 hours.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake covered at 375º for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 to 20 additional minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION