Carrot Kugel with Applesauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the Kosher Palette Cookbook. Very moist and delicious. Make them in mini-muffin tins for bite size portions. Kids and adults love them.
- Ready In:
- 4 large carrots, cut into 3-4 inch pieces
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put carrots in a large saucepan and add water to cover. Boil over high heat for 25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Drain and place in a large mixing bowl. Mash carrots with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch non-stick springform pan with non-stick cooking spray. (You can also use a tart pan with a removable bottom, muffin or mini-muffin tin. Be sure sides are at least 2 inches high.) Set aside.
- Add rest of the ingredients to the carrots. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. (Can also be mixed by hand.) Do not overbeat - should still have little bits of carrot.
- Pour mixture in pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (For muffins, 30 minutes and mini-muffins, start checking after 20 minutes.).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was my first attempt at any kind of kugel and it was a hit with the whole family. Definitely moist, definitely yummy, definitely sweet. We found these to be much like a sweet carrot muffin or even a sort of carrot 'cake'. I offered these as a veggie side (the sugar content didn't sink in my brain) but next time would probably offer them as a dessert - just more my taste. I would make this again for sure. Love that the kids now realize carrots don't have to be considered poison! LolReply