photo by Liza K.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (heated until warm)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy bottom saucepan (5 cup pan or larger), stir together the sugar, corn syrup and water. Let the water soak into the sugar until completely moist.
- Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbling.
- Stop stirring and allow mixture to boil undisturbed until it turns a deep amber color (about the color of an amber beer).
- Once you have achieved the desired color, immediately remove mixture from heat. Slowly add in your warmed heavy cream.
- Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and begin to slowly stir the mixture until smooth. Make sure to scrape the thicker parts at the bottom and mix in so you get a nice smooth consistency. If you begin to get lumps, put mixture back on stove and heat for a moment. Remove and re-stir. When mixture is complete add in Vanilla and Salt.
- NOTES: Will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days. Will keep when refrigerated for about 3 weeks. TO REHEAT- Place in microwave and heat for 30 to 40 seconds. Stir well and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!