Capirotada -- Mexican Bread Pudding
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This traditional Lenten dessert is a terrific way to use up stale bread. Bolillos are torpedo-shaped bread rolls.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 loaves French bread (or 5-6 bolillos)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 ounces piloncillo (Mexican brown sugar)
- 4 cups water, boiling
- 3 -4 whole cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup queso fresco or 1 cup American cheese, grated
- oil, for frying
- Cut bread in slices and let it dry for at least one day before preparing.
- Fry the sliced bread, break into 2" pieces.
- Make a syrup of water, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Butter an oblong baking pan.
- Layer bread, cheese, raisins and peanuts.
- Pour syrup over bread mixture and bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until syrup is absorbed.
- May be served warm or cold. If served warm, top with whipped cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION