Cannellini Beans & Italian Sausage
photo by Johnsonville Sausage
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 45mins
- 2 (19 ounce) packages Johnsonville Mild Italian Sausages
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, sorted and rinsed
- 7 cups water
- 10 fresh sage leaves, divided
- 1 medium roma tomato, cored and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2⁄3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup mascarpone, cheese*
- In a large bowl, pour beans, add water to a level of 3 inches above beans and soak for 6 hours or overnight.
- Place beans in a soup kettle or Dutch oven; add 7 cups of water, 5 sage leaves and tomato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are almost tender.
- Drain and reserve beans; discard liquid, sage and tomato.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, remaining sage, onions, carrots, celery, red pepper flakes and sauté until tender. Add beans, crushed tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, continue to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, prepare sausages according to package directions.
- Cut sausage links into thirds.
- Just before serving, gently stir mascarpone cheese into beans. Spoon prepared beans into individual bowls and top with sausage pieces.
- Garnish with additional fresh sage. Serve.
- *1/3 cup cream cheese, cubed, may be substituted for mascarpone cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!