Cannellini Bean and Sausage Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This recipe is amazing, and comes from Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. It could be made with any kind of sausage really, however I used a smoked turkey and it turned out so well, even the kiddos ate it up!!
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 4 links smoked turkey sausage
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (1/2 for beans and 1/2 for stew)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- If using dried beans, soak overnight, discard soaking water. Add beans to pot, cover with water by several inches. Add 1/2 onion (coarsly chopped), and 3-4 bay leaves. Simmer until soft (about 45 minutes). When done, drain in sink.
- While beans are cooking, cut sausage in half lengthwise, then cut into half-moon slices. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in heavy Dutch oven, sauté sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. When done, remove to bowl.
- Add chopped onion to pot, sauté for 2 minutes, adding more oil if necessary. After 2 minutes, add chopped garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, dried oregano, dried marjoram, and chicken stock to pot with onions and garlic. Add sausage back to pot and cook at a low simmer about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add drained beans and simmer 15 minutes more. (If the mixture seems too dry at this point, add a bit more chicken stock.).
- Add chopped basil and balsamic vinegar and simmer 5 minutes more. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmasean (Romano works nicely as well).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION