Butterflies are Free
I'm posting this recipe for the Chinese/Vietnamese New Year Tag Game—February 2008. It from the Joy of Wokking by Martin Yan. This is NOT for dieters.
- Ready In:
- Cut egg roll wrappers in half.
- Place 2 wrappers on top of each other.
- Cut a 3 1/2 " long slit in the centre of each.
- You make the butterflies by lifting one end and placing it through the centre cut and flipping over to the other side. Don't pull all the way through or you'll have to start over.
- Deep fry the butterflies in hot oil over medium high heat until golden brown.
- Drain and set aside.
- Make the syrup by combining the sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp oil and heating it in a heavy skillet over medium low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Keep hot.
- Coat the fried butterflies with hot, running syrup by placing the butterflies in the skillet and turning them until coated.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Note: You could use powdered sugar rather than syrup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more