photo by P2VANI
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons crushed gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons sake (optional)
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 8 ounces diced tomatoes with juice or 3 fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (Denmark if possible)
- Cut chicken into small cubes (1 inch) and set aside.
- Slice onions into thin wedges.
- Melt butter until frothy. Add onions and cinnamon and fry lightly until onions are transparent.
- Stir in crushed ginger and garlic.
- Add turmeric, chili and coriander, and sauté over medium heat.
- Add cubed chicken and sauté, stirring constantly until chicken has turned white.
- Pour ground almonds, tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add yogourt and heat through.
- Serve on basmati rice with a salad and indian bread.
- Note: I usually add a tsp of honey and a splash of sake and let it simmer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this last night and we loved it, so creamy and the subtle spicy flavours were delicious. The intro mentions cumin as a dominant flavour but it is not listed in the ingredients, so I added 2 teaspoons cumin at stage 5. I also added the optional honey at stage 7, but no sake. I served it with simple boiled white rice and it was so gorgeous, I'm sure we'll be having this again. Thank you for posting this very special recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am living in Toronto, Canada now. The first thing I ever cooked was a carrot cake that my dad taught me when I was 8 years old. I am a gardener and like to forage for wild and local foods, and turn them into delicious meals.