Indian Butter Chicken
This is my family's favourite butter chicken recipe - it came about after my youngest son stayed at a friends house and they bought Indian take-away. Youngest says this is just like the one he had at his friend's. This is one of favourite dishes. Butter chicken was created in the 1950s at the Moti Mahal restaurant in Delhi.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 kg boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in large chunks
- 50 g butter
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh green ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 (400 g) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat a wok until really hot, add 1 Tbsp oil.
- Add half the chicken and stir-fry for about 4 minutes or until chicken is a nice colour.
- Remove to plate.
- Add extra oil and cook remaining chicken.
- Remove from wok.
- Reduce heat and add the butter.
- When melted add all of the spices and stir-fry until fragrant- about 1 minute.
- Return chicken to wok and stir to coat with the spices.
- Add the tomato and sugar and simmer for 15 minutes- stir occasionally.
- Add the yogurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Serve over rice.
- **This dish can be frozen. After step nine cool completely then store in a zip-lock bag in the freezer. To reheat, thaw in bag in fridge overnight then add contents to saucepan. Reheat gently, then simmer for 8 minutes - add the yoghurt, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 more minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I cooked the chicken in butter instead of peanut oil, I added in a tablespoon of cayenne pepper for heat, used 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon instead of a stick, 1/2 tsp ground cardamom instead of pods, regular ginger instead of green ginger, and I substituted sour cream because they were out of small containers of plain yogurt at the store. Still turned out amazing!2Replies 1