Butter and Shortening Pastry
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (8 T)
- 6 -8 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour, salt and sugar in a food processor fitted with steel blade.
- Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture. Toss to coat butter with a little of the flour.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture with 5 one second pulses.
- Add shortening, a tablespoon at a time and cut into mixture with about 4 one second pulses.
- The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no bigger than peas. Turn out into a mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle 6 T of ice water over flour mixture.
- Using the blade of a rubber spatula, press down on the dough, using a folding motion, until the dough sticks together.
- Add up to 2 more T of ice water if the dough will not come together. DO NOT over-knead the dough.
- Divide dough into 2 balls and flatten each into a 4 inch wide disk.
- Dust disks lightly with flour. Wrap each in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 days before rolling out.
Join The Conversation