Budget Macaroni and Cheese
TOH Annual 1996, as requested
- Ready In:
- 1 (1 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- Drain and set aside, keeping warm.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, melt butter.
- Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly.
- Heat and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- pour over macaroni and mix well.
- Makes 4 servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I needed to make a small serving of mac n cheese for my dd who is sick today and was out of the box mix. I made this recipe using sharp cheddar cheese and the sauce turned out nice, but needed some other added flavor. I tried a little onion powder after the fact and it seemed tastier. I don't know - just needs something. My dd wasn't crazy aobut it either. I found that 1 ounce of pasta was too little for the amount of sauce. I ended up using 4 ounces.Reply