Broiled Banana Crisp
photo by Ambervim
- Ready In:
- Peel bananas and drizzle with lemon juice; then cut in half lengthwise and then again across.
- You should have a total of 16 quarters of banana.
- Then distribute these banana quarters equally among 4 broil-and-serve dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, uncooked oats, flour and allspice -- NOTE: Allspice tastes like a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves, so you could probably substitute a mixture of those three if you're out of allspice or go with just cinnamon.
- Cut butter into the mixture until it resembles crumbs and then spread the crumbs equally over all the bananas.
- Turn on your broiler and place these dishes under the broiler, 5" from the heat source and broil 3 min; the idea is to brown it and warm it at the same time.
- Watch carefully, don't burn it or yourself!
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Unique and really delicious! I used Ambervim's suggestion and made this to go with breakfast. It was so quick and was just the right sweet addition to our meal. I halved the recipe for two and put the ramekins in the oven at 350 for 5 mins. to warm the bananas up and then broiled for 2.5 mins. Thanks for sharing this fun recipe!
I followed another reviewer's suggestion and baked mine at 350 for 15 mins - perfect! Followed the ingredients exactly, making a little bit more topping mixture. I think the oven worked just fine for this and avoided the possible burnt sugar that might have been caused by broiling. This was perfectly balanced, creamy, sweet, crunchy. Definitely let this cool off a minute before diving in, or you will burn your mouth on the hot bananas! This is a keeper, thanks for posting Cookin'withGas.