Bread & Butter Peppers
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 7 banana peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium green peppers, julienned or 1 medium green tomato, halved and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup canning salt
- 12 -15 ice cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, onion, and salt; top with ice cubes.
- Let stand for 2 hours.
- Rinse and drain well.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, and celery seed.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over pepper mixture; cool.
- Pour into sterilized pint jars, cover tightly, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Store in refrigerator for up to 3 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummy! Love the sweet hot combination...I couldn't locate the banana peppers so used a few yellow chili peppers and some red chili peppers for added heat...and color...I'm not surprised at not being able to locate the banana peppers...the first store I went to didn't even have jalapenos...now that should tell you something...I think there is way too much brine...but I could be wrong...planning to reuse it to see what happens...I'm going to serve this along side of some hamburger patties I'm going to be making...thanks for posting it...:)
Made these for DH. And he has given them a 5* review, but did say that he would like them hotter--so am going to use more jalapenos plus a couple of regular hor peppers and a few shakes of of dried crushed red peppers--we'll see how hot that makes them! Will leave the white ribs in the hot peppers. I also used Splenda Blend for baking. Thanks for posting this, I'm having fun trying to regulate it to suit DH and his asbestos mouthed pals who will be at deer camp this year!