Braised Chicken With Dates
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2-4 lb) chicken, cut in quarters
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (a 2-inch piece)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 lb dates, chopped (preferably Medjool)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Place an oven-safe braising pan (enameled cast iron works well) over high heat until very hot. Reduce heat to medium and add olive oil.
- Sprinkle chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. When oil is shimmering, place chicken in pan, skin side down, until golden brown, then turn and brown the other side, then transfer to a plate.
- Add onion and ginger to pan and saute until onion softens and turns translucent. Add paprika and coriander and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Place chicken back in pan and add water. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a plate. Continue to simmer the sauce, uncovered, until it reduces by half, 12-15 minutes. Add cilantro and dates, and return chicken to pan. Squeeze lemon juice over the dish before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!