Bourbon-Chocolate Cake With Praline Frosting
photo by Molly R.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup Bourbon
- 1. Grease bottoms of 3 (8-inch) round cake pans; line with wax paper. Grease and flour wax paper and sides of pans; set pans aside.
- 2. Cook first 3 ingredients in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is smooth; remove from heat, and let cool.
- 3. Beat buttermilk and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add butter mixture to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended. Combine sugar, flour, and salt; gradually add to buttermilk mixture, beating until blended. (Batter will be thin.) Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. (Cake layers will appear thin.).
- 5. Spread about 1/2 cup Chocolate Ganache between each cake layer; spread remaining Chocolate Ganache on sides of cake. (Do not frost top of cake.) Chill cake 30 minutes. Pour warm Praline Frosting slowly over top of cake, spreading to edges. (Cover and let stand up to 24 hours, if desired.).
- 6. Pierce about 25 holes in top of cake using a wooden or metal skewer. Pour warm Bourbon Glaze over cake.
- Chocolate Ganache:.
- 1. Microwave chocolate morsels and cream in a glass bowl on MEDIUM (50% power) 2 to 3 minutes or until morsels are melted, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes; whisk until smooth. Gradually add butter, whisking until smooth. Cool about 35 minutes or until spreading consistency, whisking every 10 minutes.
- Praline Frosting:.
- 1. Bake pecans on a baking sheet at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.
- 2. Bring butter, brown sugar, and cream to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, stirring often; boil, stirring often, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add toasted pecans; stir gently 3 minutes or until frosting begins to cool and thicken slightly.
- Bourbon Glaze:.
- 1. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; stir in sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat, and stir in bourbon. Carefully ignite the fumes just above liquid mixture with a long match or long multipurpose lighter. Let stand until flames disappear.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!