This is super easy Hungarian Transylvanian comfort food. Cheap, easy, and delicious. Serve this with fried eggs or sausage for a nice meal.
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Hungarian paprika
- Heat oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, saute until transparent.
- Add peas and water. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium.
- Whisk together milk and flour. Add to the peas. Cook until it begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve with fried eggs or sausage.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I was looking for something different to try with the peas I just picked from my garden and I stumbled across this recipe. I used smoked paprika which gave a nice smokiness and a beautiful color. I had it with some garlic chicken sausage and it was a good match. This was very good and I will definitely try it again, but I felt like it was missing something. I want to try adding garlic or parmesan next time, although I think this will end up coming out very much like carbonara.