Black-Eyed Peas & Spinach
This recipe was inspired by a couple of East African dishes. Canned or fresh ingredients can be used.
- Ready In:
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 20 ounces frozen leaf spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- red chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a Dutch Oven or large Stir Fry Pan/Wok over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic in vegetable oil until onions are barely translucent.
- Add the coriander and chili flakes.
- Mix in spinach. If using fresh spinach, stir gently until wilted and dark green.
- Crush the tomatoes by hand and add, with liquid, to the rest of the ingredients. (If using fresh tomatoes you may need to add water).
- When dish begins to bubble, reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I used a combination of canned tomatoes and black-eyed peas along with frozen spinach for an earthy and comforting meal. I loved the coriander and spinach together and thought the garlic and pepper added some other great flavors to the dish. Served on a bed of bulgur and we were thrilled. I bet this would be great on polenta wedges as well. Thanks for sharing Earthymom. Made for *Pick a Chef - Spring 2008*.Reply