Black Bean Sunshine Pasta Salad
A nice, colorful picnic or buffet salad. Cook time is chill time.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 30mins
- 8 ounces tri-color spiral pasta, uncooked
- 10 ounces frozen peas and carrots
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in juice, drain and reserve 1/2 cup juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced thin and cut each slice into 3 pieces
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large oranges, peeled & sectioned (cut sections into 3 pieces each)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar (or more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions for the minimum cooking time.
- Place peas and carrots in a colander.
- When pasta is done, pour into the colander over peas and carrots. ( the hot water will cook the vegetables slightly.) Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Add pineapple , beans, bell pepper, onions, and orange sections. Toss to combine.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice and remaining ingredients. Mix well. Taste to adjust vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour over pasta mixture. Mix gently until well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight (8 hours). Mix a few times while chilling.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I've really never cared for the texture of frozen carrots, so diced up some baby carrots & let them sit in some boiling water (along with the thawed frozen peas) for a minute or two, then proceeded on with the recipe! I did use lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, but otherwise stuck with what was listed & we had A VERY, VERY NICE TASTING PASTA SALAD! I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of the pineapple & oranges ~ Great touch! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe}