Perfect Pasta Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 (1 lb) box tri-colored pasta
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 1⁄2 lb cubed provolone cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb sliced pepperoni
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- 3⁄4 cup pompeian extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup pompeian red wine vinegar (this brand is excellent in this dish)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Mix together dressing first and set aside until sugar is dissolved completely.
- Cook pasta according to box directions and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Slice the sliced pepperoni circles in half and separate slices.
- Mix together with pasta and chopped items, except the provolone cheese.
- Pour dressing over it all and mix well.
- Chill well.
- Add provolone cheese to salad before serving, otherwise it gets soggy.
- You may have to add extra red wine vinegar or olive oil to get it to the desired consistency.
- Some people like it moist, others on the drier side.
- This is guaranteed not to last long before it is completely devoured!
Join The Conversation
I've been making this pasta salad base for almost 40 years. I don't use any of the meats listed and instead I use it as a side to roasted chicken. Italian dressing with a touch of sugar is always good and sometimes I use balsamic. I load it with the following veggies, Celery, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, Radishes, Red Onion, Black Olive, Grape Tomato.