Bircher Muesli (Swiss Oatmeal)
- Ready In:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk (you can use low-fat or soy if preferred)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄4 cup sultana
- 1⁄2 cup light cream (for whipping)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 -2 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (optional)
- ground nutmeg (optional) or cinnamon (optional)
- 1 -2 cup mixed fresh fruit, peeled and diced (such as raspberries, strawberries, melon, apple, banana, grapes, Kiwi fruit, pineapple, mango)
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, orange juice, milk, sugar, honey, yogurt, vanilla essence and sultanas.
- Mix well, cover, and either refrigerate or leave in a cool place overnight.
- The next morning, whip the cream, and fold it through the muesli with the slivered almonds (and grated apple if desired).
- If the consistency is firmer than you prefer, add more milk or cream to taste.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon or nutmeg (optional).
- Serve with fresh fruit.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!