Heart Healthy Oatmeal
This is something that I've done for years in order to perk up my oatmeal without adding calories. It takes a few minutes, but is worth it. I came up with the idea when I was tiring of the taste of plain oatmeal.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup plain oatmeal (of your choice, but follow the serving size on the package)
- 1 cup water (again, follow the serving size on the package)
- Heat a medium skillet--I use cast iron--until it is medium hot to very hot.
- Put all of the oatmeal that you will be cooking in the pan.
- Stir constantly over medium high heat until oatmeal is just this side of dark brown. This gives it a nutlike flavor -- without the nuts and without the calories.
- Cook as per box instructions.
- You may add other cinnamon & sugar and/or raisins, but mind the calories.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was very pleasantly surprised at the differance this method made in the taste of the oatmeal. I usded Steel Oats as that's what we prefer, and served with a sprinkle of cinnamon, teaspoon of brown sugar and a pat of butter. Made for a very pleasant breakfast on this cold morning. Even DH enjoyed and he doesn't usually eat oatmeal EVER. What a great idea you had I'll be doing this from now on. Made for Spring PAC 2011Reply