Irish Steel Cut Oatmeal
Now here's a breakfast that's healthy, low fat and sodium and cholestrol free. It's also a great source of fibre which does a body GOOD or should I say GREAT! Good Health to you ALL!
- Ready In:
- 4 cups of briskly boiling water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- milk (optional)
- honey or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon nuts
- 1⁄2 banana, sliced
- Pour the cinnamon and oats into boiling water until and stir until it begins to thicken.
- Lower the heat until it begins to simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- It's important not to overcook the oats so that you get a nice nutty flavour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good basic recipe. I halved the recipe and my oatmeal was done well before the 30 minutes; I think 17 minutes would have been fine. I didn't have bananas, so I "made do" with brown sugar and chopped walnuts, what a nice combination. With this dish everything but the bananas was brown, so i think contrast is needed: bananas offer some contrast, but this is a good time for dark raisins, fresh strawberries or dried cranberries. Mind you, I loved my oatmeal just fine, but presentation can sway the undecided. Made for The Wild Bunch for ZWT8 Family Picks.1Reply
see 35 more