Spiced Irish Oatmeal (Diabetic Friendly)
- Ready In:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute, equivalent to 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar*
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dash ground cloves or 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 cups nonfat milk (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the water, steel-cut oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and cloves or nutmeg.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness and consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with milk on the side.
- Makes 3 cups (six 1/2-cup servings).
Join The Conversation
This tasted great, but the cooking time is too little. Mine took about 25 minutes. The amount of sweetness is just right. I skipped the milk. I love steel cut oats but don't have them often because of the cooking time, but will have this version when time permits, since I liked all of the spice flavors in this.
It was my first time trying steel cut oats. After 15 minutes, it was still a little bit crunchy. I used 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar. For me it was not enough sweet. I had to add more in my bowl with the milk. I liked the taste of all the spices. I used ground cloves and no salt. Thanks Annacia :) Made for I recommend tag game