Original Birchermuesli (Swiss Muesli)
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons uncooked oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk (or honey)
- 1 large apple (unpeeled)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- Soak the oatmeal in the cold water until soft--like overnight -- or for 30-40 minutes at a minimum.
- At serving time, stir in the lemon juice and condensed milk. Grate the apple directly into the muesli. Sprinkle with nuts.
- NOTES: amount of water depends on kind of oatmeal used. Also, tho while instant oats don't have to be soaked as long, it's better if it's allowed to stand for 10 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
We have been making this recipe for a couple of weeks and everyone down to our two year old enjoys it! We did multiply the portions by about 24, as we have a larger household and breakfast is a bigger meal. I also add a little organic lemon oil to the juice and less honey. Thanks so much for posting!!
This is good and pretty healthy. Like loof I also soaked my old fashioned type oats for a lot less than overnight, about 40 minutes (per preference to me 30 minutes is perfect). I used spring water, freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey to be dairy free and healthier, 2 small Mackintosh apples but I did peel them as they were not organic, I used walnuts pieces for the nuts.