Best Beef Stew
AWESOME FLAVOR! Old fashioned style like my Mother use to prepare. Tender and delicious. The flavor of celery in this stew is the KEY. The celery blends well with the onions and carrots. If you do not like celery, you can leave it in large pieces and left out before serving The gravy is WONDERFUL served over rice.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sirloin (cut in pieces)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large saucepan brown beef pieces in vegetable oil. Add water.
- Stir in ketchup, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover with lid and turn heat to low for simmering stage. Let simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes (cut in large pieces), carrots, celery and onion. (Add approximately 1/2 cup of water, if needed.) Simmer until potatoes test done.
- In a small bowl blend cornstarch with cold water and add to stew.
- Serve over cooked rice and ENJOY!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I am not a huge fan of stews, but I must say this one is outstanding.My picky dh was in heaven. Made as directed using venison stewing meat. I did double all the seasonings because of the meat change. It worked beautifully in this dish. The meat was tender and flavorful, the vegetables were perfectly cooked and simmering in a delicious fragrant gravy. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe, which I will make again.
This stew was absolutely WONDERFUL! I realized that I was out of Worcestershire sauce, so I just omitted it. It was still fabulous. Reminds me of the stew that my mother made when I was a child. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. Next time that I make it, I will make sure that I have Worcestershire sauce on hand. Thanks for posting this fab recipe!
I agree this is packed with flavor! The aroma had us anticipating. Made as posted - came together to make for a hearty and delicious stew - no changes needed for this one. Perfect for a comforting supper on a cold winter night here on the prairies. Served with loaf of freshly baked bread. Thank you for posting - it's in my cookbook!