Beef Teriyaki With Cucumber Salsa
- Ready In:
- 2 scotch steak fillets
- 40 ml soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I have used jarred)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large lebanese cucumber, seeded
- 1⁄2 red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 2 spring onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Combine ingredients for marinade.
- Immerse steak in marinade, turning to coat.
- Refrigerate at least half an hour.
- Peel cucumber and dice into 1cm cubes.
- Slice capscicum into strips and then across ways to be about the same size as the cucumber.
- Slice spring onions on the diagonal (make sure you use some of the green bit) Combine in a salad bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and 2 tbs water.
- Boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, and them simmer for 2 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, and then poor directly over the salsa.
- Cook the meat to your liking.
- Retain the marinade.
- I use the GF and have it rare.
- Allow it to rest at least 10 minutes.
- Slice the steak into thin strips, retaining the shape of the steak.
- Boil the marinade for 3 minutes to remove any bacteria.
- Keep warm until serving.
- Serve the steak on a bed of plain rice.
- Top with some reserved marinade, and the salsa and finally with the sesame seeds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Ohhhh - this was good! It actually deserves a 10 because it was easy too! Delicious mix of flavours and the bonus is its also healthy. I had all the ingredients on hand which was great and really nice to have a recipe for 2. I have uploaded some photos - hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoyed eating this tasty meal. I had always wondered how the Japanese restaurant got things to taste so good - thank you for a insight into the magic combinations! Who knew it could be this easy! Oh - I also didn't have much teriyaki marinade left afterwards. Added water so it didn't boil dry and it turned out nicely - I'll try a lower heat next time... or double it as suggested too. The sauce is too yummy and it wouldn't go to waste. :)
Great taste to this one! I loved the cucumber salsa (and I even did it wrong - mixed in the vinegar and sugar before realizing they were supposed to be cooked). The marinade was delicious, but I didn't have any left over after the meat was cooked, so next time I'll definitely double it. Thanks for posting!