photo by K9 Owned
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen cut green beans or (9 ounce) package frozen okra, cut up
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Brown beef in a dutch oven, half at a time, in hot oil. Remove and set aside, reserving drippings. In drippings, cook onion and garlic till tender but not brown. Return all meat to dutch oven. Drain off fat.
- Add coconut milk, undrained tomatoes, salt and coriander into meat mixture. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover, simmer about 1 hour.
- Stir in beans (or okra), rice and peanuts. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and until meat and rice are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really great! I love Thai dishes with coconut, now I have a new cuisine to explore :) I used okra in this dish, and it came out very nicely- no slime at all. Next time I would add more coriander- I could taste it, but it wasn't a prominent flavor. I also had a bit of a problem with my rice- it was not done after 30 minutes, and was starting to scorch on the bottom of the pan. Fortunately, 1/2 cup of water and 10 more minutes took care of the problem. I think it was oldish rice, not a problem with the recipe. I love that this is a one dish meal- meat, veggie, and rice all in the same pot. I'll definitely make again! Made for ZWT7- Emerald City Shakers
The flavour of this dish is just really fantastic! I halved the recipe, added a bit more of the canned tomato and used 2/3 of the coconut. I omitted the beans because DH will not eat them. Still it was all delicious. I served it with a green salad. Definitely a keeper recipe and very easy to throw together. Made for 1-2-3 Tag