Beef Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs short rib of beef
- 5 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon instant beef bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄4 cup snipped parsley
- In Dutch oven slowly brown short ribs on all sides; drain off excess fat.
- Add water, undrained tomatoes, onion, bouillion granules, salt, and basil.
- Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, celery, green pepper, barley, and parsley.
- Simmer, covered, 45 minutes more.
- Remove meat and bones.
- Chop meat; discard bones.
- Skim excess fat from soup.
- Return meat to soup; heat through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>